Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Who are YOU?

It’s a challenging question because it’s possible that who you are today might not be who you will be tomorrow. Have you ever thought about that? Do you realize you’re not stuck with a definition of who you are? In addition, what you’re passionate about today might change tomorrow. When you’re receptive to change and you accept the fact that life is always evolving, you automatically begin to flow with reality (life) instead of resisting it. In the beginning, this concept was difficult for me to understand and embrace.

I wasn’t raised with too many options, especially when it came to personal growth. Personal growth? Spiritual growth? I don’t remember my parents connecting the two words together. And, the topic of personal growth wasn’t offered at any school I attended. How did I stumble into the pool of wanting to know more about who I was? I was in my twenties when I took my first personality test. The test was extensive and I enjoyed answering questions I’d never thought to ask myself.*
After the test results were calculated, I discovered that the person described wasn’t me. I mean, a small percentage was recognizable, but the majority was not. How could this happen? How could I fail a personality test? Then, a light bulb when off. The answer was simple. I was answering the questions the same way my father would’ve answered the questions. Yes, that’s right. I adored my father, he was my superman. When I was 12 years old, I remember telling him, “Daddy, when I grow up, I want to marry a man just like you.” Now, instead of marrying a man like my father, I was my father, literally. Like most children, I was indoctrinated to believe things about myself that I hadn’t tested or even questioned.
That is why I ask you, my dear readers, who are YOU? Do you even know? It’s a question that I think everyone needs to sit quietly and ask themselves. In my opinion, discovering who you really are is a vital component to finding peace and happiness during your life’s journey.
Let me also say, that whoever you think you are, you are much more.
*The Keirsey Temperament Sorter®-II (KTS®-II) is the most widely used personality instrument in the world. It is a powerful 70 question personality instrument that helps individuals discover their personality type. The KTS-II is based on Keirsey Temperament Theory™, published in the both bestselling books, Please Understand Me® and Please Understand Me II, by Dr. David Keirsey.

0 comments:

Post a Comment